Newcastle United’s defensive anchorman Cheick Tiote could be on his way out of Tyneside as Manchester United manager David Moyes seems to have set his sights on the midfielder, reports The Metro.
The Scot has been promised funds during the January transfer window to reorganize his squad, and although Moyes is keen to add a playmaker to his line-up, a top class defensive midfielder is also a high priority on Moyes’ winter shopping list.
The Ivory Coast man is also a target for rivals Arsenal, but interest from the Gunners has cooled off after Mathieu Flamini’s good start to the season, and Moyes, who nearly signed the 27 year old during his time at Everton, could bag the player for just 6 million pounds, which is a significantly small sum, considering the transfer kitty to be handed over to Moyes during the winter.
Tiote is contracted to Newcastle till 2017, but has been inconsistent over the past twelve months, and is not a regular starter now at the club. Coupled with the fact that United could offer him European football, the midfielder could soon strut his stuff at Old Trafford, even if Newcastle put up a fight to keep him.
|Full name||Cheick Ismaël Tioté|
|Date of birth||21 June 1986 (age 27)|
|Place of birth||Yamoussoukro, Ivory Coast|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Current club||Newcastle United|
|2007–2008||→ Roda JC (loan)||26||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 5 October 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 12 October 2013
More Man Utd news
- Man Utd in discussions to sign complete midfielder
- Man Utd and Chelsea not alone in chasing after highly coveted midfielder
- Scots getting fretful over the possibility that wonder kid may join Arsenal or Man Utd
- Arsenal and Chelsea among the clubs set to be disappointed in pursuit of Serie A sensation
- Former Man Utd star convinced that United will not dispense with David Moyes
- Man Utd target once again confirms he will not be moving to Old Trafford
- Can Man Utd still win the title? David Moyes gives his opinion
- Man Utd £16 million purchase could see at least two Chelsea players move on
- Pedro discontent alerts Man United and Liverpool
- Moyes ready for backlash from the fans
More Newcastle United news
- Arsenal and Liverpool back in the hunt for 27 year old playmaker
- AC Milan join the long list of clubs coveting a Newcastle player
- Arsenal face stiff competition in their pursuit of Newcastle play maker
- Liverpool and Newcastle United handed a major boost in their pursuit of Marseille winger
- Sun 3rd Nov - Newcastle daily gossip and news round up
- Sat 19th Oct – Premier League daily news round up including Arsenal and Liverpool
- Alan Pardew looking for payback following Liverpool humiliation
- Man Utd eyeing up a move for Newcastle United anchorman
- Tuesday 8th Oct – Newcastle United daily gossip and news round up
- Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew is desperate to hold on to prized asset