Marseille president Vincent Labrune has confirmed that Chelsea are looking to sign their right-back Cesar Azpilicueta, suggesting that the Blues have made a ‘serious approach’ for the 22-year old.
Chelsea have been on the lookout for a new fullback after choosing to let Jose Bosingwa leave the club following the end of his contract this summer, and made Azpilicueta a primary target after considering other options like Maicon, Mathieu Debuchy and Lukasz Piszczek.
However, after having a bid for the former Osasuna player rebuked last week, the Blues have finally come close to Marseille’s £8 million valuation for the starlet.
A confirmation of the same was a statement made by Marseille president Vincent Labrune in The Sun on Monday, who said: “Chelsea have made a serious approach for Cesar.”
Chelsea have already spent over £60 million already this summer to recruit the trio of Marko Marin, Eden Hazard and Oscar, and could easily see that figure reach triple-digits, with the Blues still chasing German youngster Andre Schurrle, Wigan winger Victor Moses and Porto star Hulk.
Such developments have certainly excited Azpilicueta to make a switch to Stamford Bridge, with the 22-year old said to be keen on a move to London that is now closing completion.